Sunday, February 15, 2015

Hurricane Pamela and Hurricane Katrina…aaj reply

On Sunday, February 15, 2015 at 8:37:08 AM UTC-6, Anthony Marsh wrote:
> On 2/13/2015 11:27 PM, Pamela Brown wrote:
> > Guess which is the first US orchestra to perform in Cuba since the
> > reestablishing of relations? Sandy's favorite:
> >
> > http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/02/12/minnesota-orchestra-going-to-cuba/
> >
> > Just another curious coincidence?  Of course Sandy, who lives in NYC, and
> > has the dubious distinction of having the same name as the worst hurricane
> > ever to hit NYC, tends to be just a teeny bit sensitive to any odd
> > coincidences...
> >
> > Pamela :-)
> >
>
>
> What about Hurricane Pamela?

Interesting train of thought...

I didn't live in Guam in 1976, so the curious coincidence seems little more than in name.  Nor had I been there or anyone in my family that I know of. That storm did do a lot of damage though.

However, in another odd coincidence, I happened to be in NOLA the weekend the Garrison investigation broke in February, 1967.  That was interesting.  The place was a zoo.  I had no idea what to think.  By the time I returned to NYC, David Ferrie was dead. I thought that odd.  I did not know what to think of Garrison's investigation, as he was under such intense attack, but I did begin to wonder if there was might be some sort of connection between NOLA and the assassination.  That fascination has continued to this day.

Then, in 2005, another odd thing happened.  Ken Rahn decided to come to Minnesota and wanted to get together with me and my husband Donner. We had a very interesting day at the State Fair and dinner later.  That was the evening before Hurricane Katrina hit NOLA.  As I drove Ken to the airport the following morning, reports were starting to filter through that the situation might become even more dire than anticipated.

I had this odd thought that here we were -- a confirmed WC defender (who argues with great respect and knowledge, I might add, so we simply agreed-to-disagree on every issue and move on) a confirmed dissenter -- me-- and my husband, who is very objective about everything, gathered together on what was the eve of this historic storm.  As the levee broke and the 9th Ward was flooded, and the citizens were stuck in unimaginable horror, I found myself hoping that whatever poison there was from the assassination -- if there was -- was flushed out forever.

And then, oddly, I recalled a nickname my daughter had been called by one family member when she was little -- "Katrina, Katrina, ballerina."  (Her real name is Katherine, as was my Mother's).  Just odd...

Pamela Brown



No comments:

Post a Comment